07 September 2009

My silly girls.


{Greta and Heidi, the two German Doberman sisters}

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better."
~ George Bird Evans 

Oh, how much joy these two bring to our lives!  That is, when Heidi (only 7 months old and larger than full-grown Greta) isn't chewing or licking everything in sight.  I seem to get a full foot bath everyday. She gallops like an antelope all throughout the house, eyes and ears as curious as can be.  When we talk to her, she cocks her head intently.  Greta could be stroked, scratched, petted for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  She rests her head on the thigh of anyone who enters our home within about 3 minutes of meeting them.

They are both little thiefs.  Greta, the "peach bandit," was caught a few weeks ago standing over her pillow going to town on the remnants of a fuzzy peach that had previously been on the kitchen table out of her reach.  How she got it, I have no idea.  But it was stealthy.  I found the pit licked clean on the living room carpet.

On Saturday afternoon, we brought home our produce bins from the co-op stocked full of a plethora of fruits and veggies.  I turned my head for one second, turned back around, and there was Heidi, standing before me with a full banana hanging out of her mouth.  At least they have good taste!

7 comments:

Ange said...

Cute! Angel and Roxy used to camp out beneath our peach tree in the backyard eating peaches until their bellies were too full to move. Sometimes they would try to sneak 1/2 eaten peaches into the house to save for a snack later.

Victoria said...

So adorable. It's a good thing that we love them so much :) I've come back into the room to find timmy enjoying my fish or chicken dinner at least once or twice! (that serves me right for not eating at the dining room table)

Kristina said...

They're so cute! Crickett enjoys fruit, too. Especially grapes & bananas. Thank goodness she's too small to heist any of my groceries. Otherwise, I'd be in the same boat!

Ange said...

Ooh Kristina - be careful giving your pup grapes - they can be toxic to them and cause renal failure.

Lauren said...

awww, stine...they are so sweet. and their antics will prepare you for what it's like to have kiddos ;)

on a (somewhat) entirely unrelated note...did you know that when i'm working 2 jobs (4 if you add mothering into the mix ;) ) and barely make it onto the computer AT. ALL. for week, that as soon as i do have the time, it's your blog that i check first? just sayin'

i love your words and your pictures and your storytelling and your introspection and your vulnerability! i love YOU!

Kristina said...

Ange, thanks for the heads up! I'll be sure to scratch grapes off the list of things I let her have.

GONE FOREVER said...

Now that's funny. lol They seem so playful. I am somewhat afraid of those types of dogs. Maybe because the only time I ever seen one was in movies and of course, they were violent.