26 June 2007

Our sanctuary.

Summer has officially arrived, and this past weekend proves it. On the first "official" weekend of summer, we had an unbelievably relaxing time enjoying our new "sanctuary" right here in Dallas - our friend Michelle's grandmother's backyard. Crazy, huh? 88-year-old Granny Elizabeth is the sweetest lady and has allowed us to use her pool all summer! So we packed our canvas beach bag, donned our swimsuits and headed for the backyard sanctuary complete with a private fenced-in pool, hot tub with fountain, Brazilian hammock, gorgeous natural canopy of Crape Myrtles & Bradford Pears, and even those recliner rafts with the cup holders! H-E-A-V-E-N!

Our friend Paul was in town from Athens, TX and he and Steven went out to lunch, so I got to spend the first hour by myself enjoying the retreat. Sunshine, the sound of flowing water, and reading about classic beach cottages in my newest Coastal Living magazine - could I ask for more?


I decided to enjoy the quiet and take in all my surroundings while the boys were away...






I'm seriously thinking of getting one of these hammocks and replacing our bed. It's SO comfy and you feel like a burrito all wrapped up in it. After all, this is what we'll be sleeping in when we live in Bora Bora.


My view from the hammock...





Steven got his turn... (not without a fight, though!)



And then he took a nap on the edge of the pool deck...



...and woke up and smiled at me :)


The icing on the cake is that we also decided to break out our ice cream maker and make homemade Peach Ice Cream with the fresh peaches from Central Market. MMMM!


I heart summer.

6 comments:

jenni said...

All of that sounds like Heaven, quite literally. We're planning to buy an ice cream maker and make ice cream with raw milk!

Susan said...

LOOOVE these pics...they're so quintessential summer! my faves are the one with the beach ball and the one with the hammock strings and leaves...so great!

TLC said...

Oh so great! And Esteban is so cute in the burrito! I want to come!!!

A California girl... said...

Mmmm...I'm...hungry? Burrito? Anyone got a burrito?

Just enough pics to give us the feeeeeling of being there. Now I just need a little Frank playing and a cosmo.

The Morginskys said...

i LOVEEEE the magazine coastal living. i dont have a subscription b/c i tend to covet TOOOO much. i heart summer too! hey, do you use all natural sun protection, if so do tell....

Carmen@littlecooksinthekitchen.com said...

Christine -
SHUT UP! I can not believe I found your blog - through 2 clicks no less. I'll have to catch up on reading your posts! I've got one too, you can check it out. Email me if you get a chance!
Carmen (Humphreys - from Belmont) Cook