11 December 2008

Nutty coconut goodness.

This is the most satisfying cookie I've had in a really long time. It has everything a cookie should possess...rich chocolate, nuts, slightly chewy yet firm texture (not crispy) and great density. In fact, I might even start referring to it as the "PMS Cookie" - it's that good, ladies (and 'gents - who will be thanking me once their women get a hold of these).

The best part? Zero sugar. Zero grains. And you'd never even know it!

Nutty Coconut Cookies
Preheat oven to 350.

Combine in bowl:
1/2 cup nut butter [Choose your favorite - peanut...almond...I like to use raw cashew butter for these cookies.]
1/2 cup agave nectar or raw honey
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup chopped raw nuts [You can use walnuts, pecans, or even a mix. Just don't use roasted nuts! You want them raw.]
Dash of sea salt
1/2 cup mashed 100% unsweetened cacao chips [Basically, these are like chocolate chips, but they're 100% cacao vs. regular baking chips which add sugar. Ghirardelli makes a great one, and you should be able to get it at a regular grocery store.]

Mix all of that together, and then mix in 1/2 cup coconut flour. [You can get this coconut flour at some Whole Foods locations, or you can get some here or here. If you can't find coconut flour, you could probably use another gluten-free flour like this brown rice flour, although I haven't tried that specifically.]

Wet your hands so the dough doesn't stick, and then form the dough into 1-inch balls. Place them on a baking sheet [I line mine with parchment paper]. Bake for 18 minutes at 350 until the tops are golden brown.

If you want them to be even more soft and moist, decrease the baking time to 15-16 minutes. MMMMMM!

You'll be the hit of the Christmas party if you bring these! And no one will fall into a sugar coma.

10 comments:

AnnieBlogs said...

Oh man. I'm making these THIS WEEKEND. Can't wait!

jenni said...

YUM! I'm salivating.

Kimberly said...

Oh my goodness these look good. I can't make them though because I'd be the only one eating them (not good) since I'm the only one in my family who likes coconut. :(

Madi said...

They sound Yum-O...but I don't like coconut. Though, today I learned of a root beer cookie recipe.
Yup. Apparently this world makes root beer extract. But, I don't like root beer either. I'll try it out anyway...

kierstin said...

mmm. i'm going to try making these next week. thanks for the recipe! i LOVE coconut and have been wanting to do some baking.

The Morginskys said...

are you gluten free?

Anonymous said...

Will these be making an appearance at the Christmas Party?

Andrea said...

I just made these today. They are YUMMY! I think the dough was my favorite part, and no guilt in eating it since there are no eggs :-)

The Velvet Trunk said...

I am printing this out and posting it on the fridge so I remember to make them. I'm drooling just thinking about them!! :)

Kristian and Katy said...

i finally made these last night!! YUM!! brought them into work today and everyone loves them. problem is i've eaten like 10 since they seem so healthy :)
thanks for the recipe!